Monday 10 July
First week of the school holidays is underway! Normally we take a break over this time but during the July holidays the Christchurch City Council runs an awesome event called KidsFest. It first started in Christchurch in 1992 to entertain children and families during the winter school holidays, it now reaches out to much of Canterbury with events also held in Waimakariri and Selwyn Districts. I can remember going to lots of events as a child myself and there are so many events to choose from for all ages.
The Botanical Gardens always puts on an activity and they are exceptionally well done. This year it is The Very Hungry Caterpillar trail through the gardens.
Head to the visitors center and grab a map to begin your journey.
We started by reading the book altogether.
Then off we went to find spot number one.
At each stop there is a page from the book telling the story in both English and Maori. You have to keep your eyes open as there are also displays set up near each page.
The trail doesn’t take you right the way round the gardens, just a short loop past the playground. It’s a very manageable walk for little legs.
We won’t spoil the surprise with too many photos, instead you should definitely book it in for a fine day these holidays.
The trail leads you back to the visitors center into the big conference room where there are displays done by school children to look at and a colouring competition to enter.
Here are some more free ideas for all the family happening these holidays:
- Playfest at Playcentre – check out your local playcentre for more info
- Explorer Night at the Museum – Canterbury Museum, Tuesdays and Thursdays 6-8pm
- It’s Great to Live Here – games, activities, spot prizes, lots of community groups celebrating what is great about living in Linwood, Woolston areas – Eastgate Mall, Friday 21st July 11-3pm
- Makerspace – technology based sessions, craft, Lego, 3D colouring, interactive games and more – times and venues here.
- Become a Story Explorer – Explore the world through stories. Dress up as your favorite storybook character – on each day at a different CCC Library.
- Elgregoe The Magician – Eastgate Mall – first week 11.30am and 1.30pm – special guests (Crusader players) on Friday 14th at 1.30pm show
- Under 5s Have a Go Day – Pioneer Sport Centre – Sat 15th July 9am-1pm
- Explore the Forest Floor – Lincoln Events Centre – Thursday 13th July 10am-12.30pm (gold coin)
- The Great Rangiora Kids Market – come buy some Christmas presents early! Rangiora Borough School – Monday 17th July 9am-1pm ($5 to register a stall)
- Christchurch Kids Market – Monday 17th and Selwyn Kids Market – Friday 14th
- The Kaiapoi Teddy Bear Hunt – Kaiapoi Town Centre – daily 9am-5pm
- Waimakariri Library Quiz night
- Waimakariri Libraries Mystery Trails – Kaiapoi, Rangiora and Oxford Libraries – daily 9am-5pm
There are plenty more free events for 5+ age groups (these were just the ones suitable for all the family). Check out the KidsFest website for more events and details.
Head along to the Rangiora kids market on Monday and say hello! We are hoping to have a stall.
So there is no excuse to get out and about these holidays with the kids!